Since the beginning of the decade, the Institute of Sport Science and Sport (ISS) of the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg has developed into an international scientiﬁc center of competence for health and physical activity.
The institute has been able to sharpen its proﬁle by appointing two new professors (main focus: sport science and public health, kinesiology and rehabilitation), increasing the overall grant volume by more than 5,000%, and by quadrupling the annual output of publications. In a competitive call for funding by the Bavarian Innovation Fund for the Advancement of Elite Research that included a multi-stage reviewing process, the ISS was awarded an additional professorship for sport and kinesiological medicine in 2006.
Today, the ISS has four main divisions with four professorships and more than 30 employees:
- Physical Activity and Public Health (Prof. Dr. Alfred Rütten)
- Prevention and Rehabilitation (Prof. Dr. Klaus Pfeifer)
- Sport Pedagogy (Prof. Dr. Ralf Sygusch)
- Sport Medicine (Prof. Dr. Dr. Matthias Lochmann)
Nearly 1000 students are currently enrolled in one of the two programs of study offered by the ISS:
- Physical Education for primary and secondary schools, with a focus on health promotion
- International Master’s Program “Physical Activity and Health”
In addition, the ISS runs the University Sports Program for the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg with its 26,000 students and 12,000 employees.