Thanks to a combination of factors unique in Germany, Prof. Alfred Rütten’s ISEP team at the ISS can draw upon an ideal environment for delivering integrated planning of sport development:
- It works within an institute of sport science and sport the four workgroups of which all provide scientific input to the development of sport facilities. Moreover, the institute has many years of experience in developing and managing its own sport facilities as well as in sports practice.
- It conducts both national and international cutting-edge research in the surveillance of physical activity and health, health sport, physical activity promotion for special target groups and, last but not least, sport and physical activity infrastructures.
- It exerts national leadership both in the planning of sport facility development and in health promotion by providing advice to relevant state institutions and NGOs.
- With its own CATI lab, it posesses the infrastructures necessary to conduct computer-aided surveys for the planning of sport development.
- Its staff consists of researchers with a background in various fields central to the planning of sport development, e.g. sport science, health promotion for diverse settings and target groups, health monitoring, sociology, and political science.